- This event has passed.
Caring for the Future
7th May 2018 - 11th May 2018
Medical Students, the Welsh Language and Working in Wales
A free residential course at Nant Gwrtheyrn for first year MBBCh Graduate Entry Medicine students.
The course will cater for fluent Welsh speakers, non-fluent Welsh speakers and those yet to learn any Welsh.
Students will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about and experience at first-hand the professional and personal benefits and challenges of working and living in a remote and rural Welsh-language community.
- Attend basic-level Welsh-language classes and field trips to local hospitals, care homes and pharmacies
- Take part in workshops and conduct discussions with medical practitioners currently working in Welsh-language contexts in both urban and rural settings.
- Build confidence in their ability to use the Welsh language in the workplace by learning and practising vocabulary and terminology which is relevant to their courses, career path and a variety of language contexts outside of Wales.
- Recognise and become familiar with useful Welsh language resources, such as the ‘Gofalu trwy’r Gymraeg’ (‘Caring through Welsh’) app.
- Enjoy free bed, board and entertainment in a spectacular setting whilst recharging the batteries and developing skills and knowledge as a medical practitioner.